Sunday, January 4, 2009

Emergency Fund

At the time of writing, my emergency fund (in a Citibank Ultimate Savings Account, so fully liquid and accessible) is just north of $7k at $7,013. That's approximately an $1K increase in six weeks. While I think that's a good amount, it's well less than the recommended, which is keeping me from using that to pay down debt. On many levels, it doesn't make sense to do so -- credit cards are 2.9% and 3.9% respectively for life. Student loan is higher but it doesn't make sense to pay that down more than the ~$100 over the set payment I'm making already I don't think. 

That said, I couldn't pay myself first out of the last paycheck (expected due to holiday spending) and I'm not sure what the 1/15 check will look like with the change in FSA contributions. We'll see. We'll see. 

No comments: