Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Suze Orman: Young, Fabulous and Broke

So I just finished Suze Orman's Money Book for the Young, Fabulous and Broke (non-affil). Took me a while to read it, not because I didn't enjoy it but because the edition I had was too large to fit in my handbag so it was a home-only book. I liked the style because you could read it cover to cover (which I did) or dip into it a section at a time. Some sections were far more relevant to me, and others go out of date too soon to be useful in a book format (any investment advise, especially in light of recent events) but overall I found it to be a good grounding for young people. I also don't think you have to be broke -- the tips work well for any to save money -- but it's nice that it's a reasonable book that doesn't expect you to have $10K in savings.

I haven't read any of her others, though they're on my wishlist. Now time for some less cerebral reading in the form of Air Babylon, which I got off BookMooch a year ago I think. If I do take the bus to Boston this weekend I should have a lot of reading time.

That and I got my first issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance, which I picked up for $2 for a full-year subscription. I had a choice on that and Money, and popular consensus favored Kiplinger's With the amount of Money content that's on CNN Money.com I think it's a good choice. Now I just need to find the time to read it. That's the downside of magazines -- though I do plan to list it on BookMooch when done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, great work on picking up that subscription at $2 bucks! I think i paid like $9....i tend to enjoy Money mag a bit more, but they all have something great to offer :)

and good work on finishing up the book! I have't read one in a while....haha.

Living in NYC said...

When I moved into Manhattan in July, the trade off of more sleep and a shorter commute was virtually no reading time. In the morning it's check the blackberry on the bus, grab Metro or am new york before getting on the subway. On the way home I may have time to read a few pages.

If Money had been as cheap I might have jumped on it. I keep an eye out for the cheapies.